Submitted by Chief Joseph Murphy
On April 6, 1936 members of the Middleburg Community gathered in the school auditorium to organize a volunteer fire department. Dabney Simpson was the temporary chairperson and Mr. Walter Farr, Chief of the Herndon Fire Department, addressed the meeting. On this night the first Chief for the Department was appointed, L.G. Collier, along with the first President, Dabney Simpson. During the next several weeks, while meeting in various places such as the bank building and school auditorium, the by-laws were written, fundraising initiated, and tne department was well on it’s way.
On August 24, 1936, the department was incorporated and on October 2, 1936 the department purchased its first fire truck, a Seagrave with a 150 gallon booster tank and 150 ft. of 3/4 inch hose on reel. The truck was delivered in January of 1937 at a cost of $6,000 and was housed in a metal garage on Liberty Street, behind the B&A Grocery.
By 1940, the department had acquired property on the east side of South Madison Street where a stone firehouse was constructed, that also housed the police office and jail.
Eventually, more room was needed to house the equipment and for parking, therefore, a piece of property was purchased in 1976 on the west side of town. In 1977 a much larger building was erected and is where the department is still housed today.
The Middleburg Volunteer Fire Department is expecting start renovations on that same building with the next year. With the addition of more Office space, Living Quarters and Storage.
The Middleburg Volunteer Fire Department recently started changing their apparatus from Yellow to White. The Rescue and Wagon were purchased by the County of Loudoun for the Middleburg Fire Department.
Comment using Facebook here or comment the old fashioned way below
Powered by Facebook Comments